Launch your accounting career
The Skilled Migration Internship Program - Accounting (SMIPA) was developed by the Chartered Accountants Australia, CPA Australia, and the Institute of Public Accountants. This program will enable you to achieve your career goals and overcome obstacles to employment by gaining the knowledge, skills and workplace experience employers are looking for.
- Training component: 30 weeks (Weekend 1 x 8 hour session per week, Weeknight 2 x 4 hour sessions per week)
- Internship Placement: 12 weeks (full time)
- Professional Component: Completed during the 44-week (minimum) program
What you will learn
A degree is not all you need to succeed in your career. In this module you will discover the key workplace concepts needed to become work ready, including:
- making a positive first impression with key language and acceptable etiquette
- identifying and adapting to a company's culture
- understanding the key skill of emotional intelligence and how you can improve it
- setting short and long term career goals and learning how to achieve them
- establishing work related objectives linked to Performance Reviews.
Good grammar and punctuation is just the beginning of effective communication. This module introduces you to the essential skills for communication with people in the workplace. You will:
- learn communication strategies that help build workplace relationships
- understand the significance of small talk, tone and meaning, and the different workplace styles
- discover the difference between informal and formal language, and adjusting your language to suit your audience.
Learn the key tasks you need to successfully communicate in the workplace with a focus on telephone conversations. You will learn to:
- treat internal and external stakeholders as customers
- build confidence and techniques to negotiate and make arrangements
- negotiate outcomes using different styles
- negotiate work priorities with colleagues
- manage your emotions, voice, and tone
- use small talk in the workplace
- present yourself professionally at work social activities.
Clear written communication relies on appropriate language, structure and tone. Building on previous modules you will learn to:
- apply strategies to improve the quality of your writing
- work within the requirements and guidelines of business reports
- be confident and effective when sending work emails
- understand meeting protocols including agendas and minutes.
Delivering an attention grabbing presentation is a key business skill. In this module you will learn to prepare and deliver an effective presentation appropriate to your audience. You will be able to:
- prepare and structure your presentations using key concepts
- identify and use key presentation skills such as question handling, eye contact, voice projection and body language
- practice your presentation skills using both face to face and Skype meetings
- develop effective PowerPoint presentations.
Meetings are a key part of every business. This module introduces key meeting strategies and concepts so you can contribute more confidently and effectively. You will:
- understand key meeting etiquette, concepts and expected behaviour
- learn common meeting terminology and language structures to ensure you participate appropriately
- take part in a meeting scenario, creating an agenda and minutes.
Learn how to find a professional job in Australia with an understanding of recruitment processes, effective application writing and strong interview performance. You will:
- learn how you can use social media to support your job search
- identify key selection criteria including essential and preferred skills in an advert
- research companies and job ads to create professional CVs and cover letters
- learn professional dress, body language and non verbal cues for interviews
- understand, prepare for and respond successfully to interview questions.
This module enables you to experience planning and implementing a team project in preparation for your internship placement and future career. By working in a team on a Company Project you will practice how to:
- understand and respond appropriately to instructions
- establish effective workplace relationships
- establish and maintain effective networking opportunities
- promote innovation in a team environment
- work effectively with diversity.
Awareness of your workplace rights, and typical regulations governing the workplace is essential. This module introduces rights and responsibilities in the workplace and reporting issues. You will:
- learn how Workplace Health and Safety regulations apply to you and basic reporting procedures
- understand how diversity is encouraged in the Australian work-place and that employees have the right to enjoy a safe workplace.
The Internship Placement provides valuable work experience and exposure to Australian work practices. You will start applying your learning in an actual workplace setting. Throughout your internship placement, you will:
- engage and collaborate with professional work teams
- gain hands-on experience of the business world and Australian workplace culture
- work under the guidance of a workplace supervisor
- be fully supported by our placement consultants monitoring your progress
- participate in a real, professional and corporate culture
- gain employer referencing on successful completion.
The Professional Component is the section of the course has direct input from the relevant professional bodies. For SMIPA (Accounting) participants this consists of a series of presentations from industry bodies and accounting host companies. Participants are also encouraged to attend industry and networking events.
To enrol for a Accounting Professional Year Program (SMIPA) you must have:
- graduated from a related higher education program within Australia (minimum 2 years duration)
- applied for a subclass 485 Temporary Resident Visa for skilled migration and show evidence of your application
- achieved a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (no band lower than 6.0) or equivalent
- a Skills Assessment letter from one of the accounting professional bodies (for the SMIPA program only).
Take the final step
Become a fully-fledged professional by getting the skills and experience employers demand.
If you require further information please contact us directly:
- T: +61 3 9903 8788
- W: Online enquiry